10.08.2012

Mountain Retreat

We had the most fabulous trip to the mountains last week.  It was so much fun and so relaxing- it was a perfect balance of go and do & rest and relax.

The first day was spent in Asheville where we saw a man riding a gigantic tricycle wearing a nun costume- just doing his best to "keep Asheville weird".The highlight of mine and Heath's day was the stop into Miss Kim's wig shop where we found fantastic earrings for 50 cents.  So, we dumped the contents of the earring basket out and loaded up on ear bling.  We all enjoyed all of the local art, Japanese food at a sushi bar and gelato.

The second day was spent in Cherokee where we fell into many tourist traps!  My goal for the day was buying Lo a sweet pair of moccasin booties to rock out with her leggings this fall/winter...but alas, my child refuses to uncurl her toes making it impossible to put any shoes on her feet.  I guess I can't have it all!  One day she'll beg me to buy her shoes, one day.  We were able to load up on local honey, fresh apples, pottery.  Heck, we even bought locally made pork rinds and I found an amazing huge shell for sale that I brought home to hold random jewelry on my nightstand.  We also climbed the 9 story tower to look out over the mountains in Maggie Valley which is where our cabin was located.

The third day was spent in Waynesville,NC.  We had the most delicious Thai food there.  I think I'll day dream of my curry dish for a few weeks!  We antiqued, browsed all of the little shops in the adorable downtown area and Hubby racked up on emergency essentials.  Waynesville was one of my favorite parts of the trip,it was such a neat little town.  I loved how centrally located everything was and how you could walk to everything. The latter part of the day was spent in Maggie Valley buying more local goods, specifically fudge!  Oh, we had an amazing dinner at this fabulous bakery.  Hubby got the biggest prime rib of his life and Heath and I enjoyed our shrimp and grits.


Our adorable cottage "13 Moons".  It was completely redone inside- had a fireplace that we used daily, 2 beds and 2 baths, a separate loft for TV watching. We have vowed to go back to this place as often as possible.
A path around the house.  I just loved the leaves everywhere and the crisp mornings...so fallish!

An adorable Lo cuddling her Daddy by the fire. She was a little under the weather but such a champ!  The girl is quite the traveler, she loves a good adventure.

The fam before the 9 flight trek up the observation tower in Maggie Valley, NC.  Apparently the entire town is competetive about their fall decorations.  Thank heaven for our fantastic Maggie Valley expert/travel companion,  Heath.

Our view at the half way point.

Who is that super model sassing up Maggie Valley?!

No words are needed.

2 little indians

There was even a bear sighting in Maggie Valley.

An artistic photo by Hubby of the leaves on our balcony on a rainy morning.

The fam in Greenville enjoying the outdoors at Reedy Falls Park.

At a store in downtown Greenville- These gorgeous things are called "witch balls".  I would like to have a window full of them like the store display- alas, I didn't win the lottery!  Heath did take one of these gems home though.
We loved the Nutmeg Cafe so much that we made reservations for brunch on our final day.  It did not disappoint!  We spent the rest of the day in Greenville where we got to enjoy more outdoor time at the Reedy Falls Park before coming home. What a great trip!

2 comments:

Bailey Family said...

Lo is SO cute!! This looks like a fun trip!

Heath said...

I had a great time! So glad ya'll could join in me in my favorite place in the whole, wide world.
ps. You forgot to mention that we met "Maqggie"!
pps. I think you should write reviews for a travel site.
ppps. I just wanted to say ppps.