2.17.2012

North Carolina Museum of Art

While accompanying the Hubs on one of his business trips to Raleigh we stopped in at the North Carolina Museum of Art.  We were both rather impressed with the collection that they had and how sleek and modern the building is.  This is part of it, there is a whimsical metal tree out front.
North Carolina Museum of Art
Hands down the coolest piece that this place had. This installment was quite large and was made from spools of thread.  The image was made hanging upside down but there was this cool wand that you held and looked through to see it right side up.

The cool wand that inverted the image.
So neat!

A close up of the spools of thread that made up the image.
I loved this drapey piece.  I love modern art pieces in general because they are so colorful and I never met a color I didn't like.  This guy was HUGE!
Overall view of the piece of art.
Zoomed in a little you can see that the piece is made out of different wrappers that were woven/sewn together. I can't imagine how long it took to complete!
Close up shot-  It's made out of wrappers.
 I wish I would have gotten a closer shot of this one because the attention to detail was amazing.  The lines were so crisp and where they intersected it looked like it was woven and not painted.

I loved this one!
I just think this one would make me so happy if I got to see it hanging in my home everyday.  Of course, I'm partial to anything on a square canvas anyway!
So colorful.
I finished the large painting for the baby's nursery last week that Hubby lovingly named "The Gay Zebra".  I haven't gotten around to posting pictures of it yet but when we saw this painting we decided it was The Gay Zebra's long lost cousin.
The cousin to my nursery artwork.
If you ever find yourself in the Raleigh area I suggest that you check this place out.  From doing a little research on the area I found that there are 20 museums in Raleigh and most, if not all, are free of charge.

No comments: