3.22.2012

Thoughts From A New Mom

Our Sweet little girl made her arrival on Tuesday. I still don't know if it's really set in that she is my baby but I'm feeling more like a Mom the second day in than yesterday. I won't write about her birth just yet but these are some random thoughts that I'd like to remember-

I've always heard people say that watching their spouse with their new baby makes them fall deeper into love and I couldn't agree more. My husband has been a pillar of strength for me throughout this entire process but since being in the hospital I am amazed at how he has really stepped in and taken over. He has done things for me that I never thought he would have to do and hasn't complained a bit. He is so, so good to us. With me recovering from major surgery he has tended to every single need of his 2 girls and done it with eagerness and love.

I have always watched new Dad's be a little scared of the tiny baby, like they are going to break or something, and I fully expected my husband to be that same way. I would say that he is more comfortable with her than I am which was a complete surprise to me.

It's crazy how fast the parenting instincts kick in. I always thought it was more just the Moms that felt this way but I know different now. Even though we haven't been parents for long we both seem to instinctively know what the baby needs.

Little Lo is nothing that I expected and yet more than I expected. The first thing I said when they showed her to me was "she doesn't look like anything I was expecting" yet I think she is a perfect combination of the 2 of us. I could look at her all day.

We seem to have been blessed with a good baby. I know things seem to change when you go home so we'll see what happens then, but for now she is an angel baby. She seems completely content with life unless she is getting her diaper changed. She does not like to be unsnuggled and hanging all out for the world to see!

As far as recovery is concerned I an honestly amazed at the difference a day makes. The first day I was well medicated from the spinal and morphine. While I couldn't move for about 20 hours due to the amount of medicine, I felt great. I was groggy but in good spirits. The day after though was a REALLY rude awakening. I was trying to take the pain and then realized how dumb that was...why be the hero?! Yesterday was tough- The pain got ahead of me, my iron was low from the loss of blood in surgery, I didn't eat enough and I was feeling all of those things. I got back in control of my pain, got some iron, ate protein fruits and veggies and this morning I feel like a new woman. Oh, and sleep...glorious sleep! I didn't sleep at all the first night and took only about a 15 minute nap between visitors. Last night my nurses left me alone from 12:45 to 4:45 and I slept like a log. When I woke up I got out of bed with so much more ease than I did yesterday, took a walk, came back to the room and used the restroom with so much more ease than yesterday, brushed teeth, washed my face, put on lotion and mascara...such an improvement!

Nurses are a gift from God. I haven't had a bad nurse thus far. They have stayed by my side and at times talked sense into me-like when I wasn't accepting pain killers they let me know that that was dumb! The sweet woman that helped me shower yesterday went above and beyond; she even scratched my back for me.

And lastly, they say that when you have a baby modesty goes out the window and I agree to an extent. I've never been a prude by any means BUT, my mother-in-law seeing me butt naked (when the door swung open by accident during my shower) was slightly awkward!

2 comments:

State of Grace said...

She really is just perfect!! And you look way too good in all your pictures to have just had a baby! It is not fair! I'm glad things went well, and I agree...being naked in front of the MIL...awkward! I think the modesty thing just goes for Doctors, etc! haha

Marina said...

AWww...that last picture! She is so sweet!